Baby having fever and rashes on stomach. Given ibuprofen. Should I be worried?

baby has temperature of 102 and rashes on her stomach. do I need to be worried. gave her ibuprofen 75 mg.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably a viral illness

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Is your baby 1 yr old ?
Has the fever come down with the Ibuprofen?
Could you please describe the nature of the rash on the stomach? Is it red pin point spots / red patches merged with the skin/ can the rashes be felt as bumps when you touch it with your hands/ any blisters or pus filled lesions/any itching/ similar lesions elsewhere in the body?

Any other associated symptoms like running nose, cold/cough?

At this stage I would think more in terms of a viral illness/fever in which the fever should come down in a day or 2.

If your baby responds to paracetamol, it would be better to give her the same . Try to avoid ibuprofen unless absolutely necessary.

Meanwhile do tepid sponging. Also keep your baby well rehydrated with fluids .

At any time if your baby is lethargic, drowsy, has persistent fever of 102 degrees,rapid breathing, please visit the paediatrician as soon as possible.

Do get back to me with the above details.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan