Baby having cough, runny nose, diarrhoea and rashes all over body. Any ideas?

My 8 month old boy has been coughing,runny nose for two weeks now when we went to our local GP he prescribed nasal drops when opening the packet the information leaflet said not to be given to children under 12 so I have not much confidence in our GP now our child has been vomiting,diarreah and has now a rash all over his back,torso,neck and forehead.His cough is getting worse and he seems to be in pain when he coughs and usually vomits when he does,he isnt eating or sleeping very well as he has usually good appetite and has been sleeping all night since he was 3 weeks old getting very worried now any ideas or help please?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

The symptoms you described seem to be more like of the due to a virus) as the rash is more common in the viral diseases like measles. At this stage, it's impossible to rule out a drug reaction but if you let me know the name of the drug that he's been prescribed, I'd be able to judge this better. The symptoms do indicate that your child is quite ill and should be seen by a pediatrician for a proper evaluation. As of now, you can use Saline nasal drops 3-4 times daily in him. In addition, give him plenty of fluids and continue feeding him.
He may require some specific investigation to be carried out like chest x-rays and detailed blood examination along with stool analysis and if required he may need to be admitted in the hospital.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Follow-up: Baby having cough, runny nose, diarrhoea and rashes all over body. Any ideas? 12 hours later
The drugs prescribed were Ephedrine hydrochloride nasal drops which we never actually given him after reading the leaflet saying not to be given to children under 12.He will only take small sips of water/juice however he will take a bottle it seems to be the only thing he will eat.The rash now seems to have spread to his face and legs also.Is it possible that it could be measles?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 26 minutes later

Thanks for the reply

It’s actually pseudoephedrine which is antiallergic and not recommended in children - as it has sedative effects. The recommended antiallergic in children is loratidine.

As suggested earlier, it might be measles. Consult a competent pediatrician at the earliest. In the interim be cautious about adequate hydration and temperature monitoring. Don't stop feeding the baby.

I wish him a speedy recovery. If you still have some query, feel free to ask