Baby having cough, congestion in chest and fever. Giving ignoment and relent syrup. Any suggestions?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello Doctor,
My Baby Boy is 11 months old and 9.2 kgs weight and having a slight cough congestion in his chest and fever 102. Local Doctor sufgested Ignoment 3.3g/ 30ml and Relent Syrup 5ml once a day and maintain the tempreture by using Crocin every 4 hrs for 5 days.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Relent syrup contains cetrizine and ambroxol that can be given as twice daily dose for relief of mild cough cold.
I assume that there is a spelling error regarding the name of the antibiotic ( ignoment ) which is most likely a combination of amoxicillin and clavulunic acid and is given as twice daily dose for five days .
For fever crocin syrup can be given 5 ml every 6 hourly and it need not be given for five days if fever is controlled in about three days .
Every doctor has a choice of medicines after considering individual case and as of now the treatment seems appropriate .
I would recommend you continue the treatment for five days and he should be fine by then .
However if the symptoms persist after 5 days then as per his age I would recommend you to get him reevaluated , investigated ( cbc ,mp blood test, X-ray etc) and start antihistamine anti cough syrups containing chlorpheniramine and ambroxol - terbutaline combinations ( like sinarest , tuspel plus etc ) and start alternative antibiotic like azithromycin .

Meanwhile you should give him plenty of water and a balanced diet for faster recovery.
Your doctor might prescribe multivitamin zinc supplements if needed to aid recovery( zincovit , Ato z etc as once daily dosage )

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing him a speedy recovery.