Baby has subconjunctival hemorrages in eyes, no change in behavior, no fever, congestion. Any ideas what this is?

Hi - My 9 week old baby woke this morning with what looks like 2 subconjunctival hemorrhages, one in each corner of his right eye. It does not seem to bother him - no changes in behavior and no fever. He has had a some congestion lately and may have caught my cold. Any ideas on what this could be?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 21 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Your baby seems to have subconjunctival hemorrhage.There is no pain or any associated symptoms.Your assessment of it not bothering him is correct.
The reason for this hemorrhage may in your case be due to some injury or rubbing or due to congestion.This is due to leakage of blood from blood vessels.
Redness due to any other reason would have lead to some associated symptoms like irritation or pain,which incidentally is not present.

Since there is only a small amount of blood leaked out,the blood vessel will take about a week to resolve completely.

These hemorrhages do not require any treatment and they resolve on their own in about 1 weeks time.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.