Baby has pink spot on back. What could be causing this?

Question
Hello Doctor, I just found my 19 month old pinkish spots on his back. I would take him to a pediatrician anyway tomorrow but wondering what could be the reason for these spots. Thank you for your response
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I require few answers from you to answer your query better.

1. Does he have any fever? Any other problem like cold, reddish coloration of eyes etc?
2. Is there any itch associated?
3. Can you describe its shape? Are they elevated above the skin? Any water droplet appearance with central umblication?
4. Is he on any medicine for any thing?
5. How is the rash spreading...... from head down or?

Most of the times we suddenly find such rash in allergic dermatitis.... skin allergy.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Baby has pink spot on back. What could be causing this? 2 hours later
Hello Doctor here are you r answers to the questions sorry for the late reply..

No does not suffer from fever, he absolutely normal..he sneezes or coughs at times but does not have cold or cough.. however he pushes really hard during digestion.. may be because he does not chew his food ( may be i am not sure)
2. Is there any itch associated?
no there are itch associated with it..
these spots are egg shaped and do not have any droplets.. however the spots are elevated like small pimples(extremely small umbilication)
4. Is he on any medicine for any thing?
NO HE NOT ON MEDICATION..
The rashes are on the back one near the right side of the neck and the other on the leftside of the back

other info..
he drinks lots of water rather than mil so.. we have to change atleast to diapers in the night can the rashes be because of diapers?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 6 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Diaper rash occurs in the diaper area.

Based on your description, I feel this rash may be due to impetigo or allergic dermatitis. Both impetigo and allergic dermatitis rarely cause any complications. Careful physical examination of the rash by your doctor will confirm this possibility.

If your visit to pediatrician is delayed, you can post a photograph of the affected area; we can discuss further.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any doubts.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics