Baby has nodule on neck, taken vaaccination. Am scared.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My baby boy is almost 3 months old and I just noticed a small pea-size nodule on the left side of the neck. He got his 2 months vaccinations 10 days ago. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, he is happy and eating well... but I am very scared. Please help! I
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Considering the information you have provided, the most likely possibility seems to be a lymph node swelling in response to the vaccine received by your baby.
A detailed physical examination by a paediatrician will confirm the diagnosis and rule out other less likely possibilities like cyst, abscess or malformation.
Lymph nodes are normal structures in our body which function as immunity boosting units and help us to fight bacteria, viruses or organism or any foreign body.
They increase in size whenever our body starts an immune response against an organism (which may enter due to a natural infection or a vaccination). They usually resolve on their own and do not require any specific treatment unless complications develop. If it is due to infection, it might worsen causing pain, redness, swelling, tenderness, fever, in which case antibiotics might be required.
So at present, your child seems to have a normal response to vaccination and doesn't require any further treatment but it would be best to confirm the diagnosis by his paediatrician to be absolutely sure.