Baby has loose stools, gas, bloated stomach. Prescribed Normet. How to stop gas formation?

Question
2/12baby with gasmy 2 month baby had some formula on the 27th of july for the first time. then 1 day later she had a loose stool for upto now. she now has a lot of gas and het stomach is so bloated that she can bounce when dropped. she is very uncomfortable and does the loose stool atleast once a day. the GP gave her normet today. what can i give her to stop the gas so she can have a normal stomach?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic!

The diarrhoeas in this age are mostly of viral origin and do not respond to antibiotics
You should avoid formula feeds till the baby crosses age of 6months.
At present please start rice cooked with a small amount of edible oil or ghee and sugar added to it and when it is lukewarm add a liberal amounts of curd and feed it to the baby 4 to six times a day.
Meanwhile also continue the breast feed and ensure hydration of the baby.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish your kid a great health!

Follow-up: Baby has loose stools, gas, bloated stomach. Prescribed Normet. How to stop gas formation? 1 hour later
the baby's stool feels XXXXXXX i had given her some darktrin some days ago but stopped when i read that not for babies under 4 months. What can i use in place of curd? is plain yogurt ok?
the baby's stool feels XXXXXXX and still no difference on the bloated stomach.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 23 hours later

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physicians!
It is a house hold formula in itself. Cook the rice with oil/ghee and add small amount of table salt and sugar three times of salt, cook them to make porridge like.
Let it cool down, keep it in cold store- use with added yogurt for feeding the baby.
Avoid antibiotics I would repeat.
I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to post your view in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Baby has loose stools, gas, bloated stomach. Prescribed Normet. How to stop gas formation? 7 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your advise, it did work but the issue is my baby is enjoying the rice too much and wants to eat more everyday. Can i cobtinue giving her or should i introduce her to a different solid?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physician's desk!
I am happy that the baby is healthy now.
Rice is an age old human nutrition and can be given once the child is above 6 months because under this age the absolute breast feed is advised and it has a scientific basis.
The role of rice based home treatment formula is over now.
I advise this many parents but some distrust and their children suffer.
I would like you to put a review in the Review column about your experience.

I wish the baby a great health.

Follow-up: Baby has loose stools, gas, bloated stomach. Prescribed Normet. How to stop gas formation? 17 hours later
thank doc. just one last question. My daughter has thrush in her mouth. what do you recommend?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 hours later

I am surprised!
One trouble is enough for such a small kid.
When did you detect the oral thrush, If after starting the curd and rice formula; I am sure that's the curd and rice residue in mouth and not the thrush at all.
Please give the child breast feed for a day or two and then let me know.
It is unsual to have a thrush in that age and not a good idea to start antifungal on presumptions.
I think this would help you in getting to the solution.
I wish the baby a great health.