Baby has eaten puppy stools. Puppies not de-wormed. Do I need to be concerned?

I am concerned my 11 month old is babysat by his grandparents a few days of the week. They have a dog which has puppies. The puppies stay in a kennel inside their living room and during the course of the potty training they have had a few mishaps. Apparently my 11 month old crawled near the kennel and found an old dried up small puppy turd and stuck it in his mouth for a split second and they removed it immediately and scrubbed his mouth out with baby wipes. Everyone tells me to relax he is fine, but Im not sure the puppies were even wormed yet. Do i need to be concerned? Or what should I look out for? Etc.?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Need not worry, the chances of your baby getting infected are least.

If the puppies are exclusively breast fed the the chances of them being infected and shedding harmful infection is really less.Also some of the infection spread by the dog faeces like tetanus and anthrax are not expected in such new born puppies.

There are chances where you baby may have gastric upset due to urea and other metabolites in the faeces which may present with vomiting giving him good amount of water and juices will suffice then.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.