Baby has chesty cough. Is the dampness of the house causing this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
dampnesshi there i have a four and a half month old baby she has trouble with a harsh chesty worry is we have dampness running through our house could this be related and if so how do the symptoms evolve
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

Dampness or excess humidity can lead to growth of fungus (black mold) and also provides favorable environment for growth of certain bacteria like pseudomonas.Certain organisms thrive in higher temperatures and humidity thus causing their growth in dark, moist conditions.
Black mold fungus toxicity can cause colds, rash, gastrointestinal upset and if severe- lung infection and hemorrhage. Pseudomonas can cause upper or lower respiratory illness and septicemia.

An infant with harsh cough should definitely be examined by a pediatrician to rule out lower respiratory infections and complications like pneumonia, alveolitis, empyma, etc. In case she has a lung infection she might develop the symptoms like fever, breathlessness or fast breathing, chest retractions and refusal to feed and irritability.
If your child develops any such symptom or if cough persists for more than a week, I suggest you to seek prompt consultation with your pediatrician to rule out infections.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have additional concerns, feel free to post your queries, I will be available to address them.