Baby has black and green stools. Could be diarrhea. Is fed iron and omegas. Help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi i have a 4 month old baby.. his poops for the past weeks have been really green/dark, and pasty!! as if it is almost clay...or something...with some yellow mustard almost seems like diarreah. he was constipated 2 days ago...he had a couple big not to hard balls come out along with that yellow mustardy diarreah. he is bottle fed and i had just switched his milk to presidents choice with iron and omegas..
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. XXXXXXX poop in babies can result from a change in their diet specially the one containing iron. Your baby's XXXXXXX poop can result from too much lactose(sugar) also. High volume feeds are invariably, high lactose feeds. When the excess lactose enters your baby's colon there may be increased fermentation, resulting in colic, gas and loose, acid stools. Try to give your baby smaller milk based feeds for a few days.

Babies with an intestinal virus or even a simple cold will sometimes have XXXXXXX mucusy stools. Teething can also bring about XXXXXXX stools due to increased saliva (can also cause tummy upset)
A recent change in the baby's diet may also cause change in stool color.
There is nothing much to worry. Just wait and watch for the stool color for few days to come back to normal on its own.
If it is associated with loose stools and fever with poor feeding of the baby then you must consult your pediatrician for further examination and treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.