Baby had vomiting, diarrhea, flu, fever. Now covered with rashes. Is this a normal reaction post flu?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 14 month old had flu few days ago with vomiting and mild diareah. He also had fever that was high for 2 days but now subsided. My question is he is now covered with small red bumps sort of reminding me of a rash. Is this a normal reaction post flu? He is still pretty cranky and barely eating other then breast milk and some fruit
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Yes it is common to have rash as one of the symptoms of a viral flu.

In most of the viral infections the rash starts after the fever subsides, may spread to the whole body or peak for a couple of days and then gradually subside on its own in few days to a week.

The rash might be associated with itching and may respond to antihistamine drugs like cetrizine or hydroxyzine.

The other possibilities though unlikely in your case could be a drug reaction to any medicines taken or bacterial sepsis.These are usually more severe and require prompt treatment.

In your child they are not likely as he has no associated symptoms now.

But if there is any new symptom like bleeding, pain, pus discharge, breathing difficulty then please consult your pediatrician for confirmation of diagnosis .

The irritability and refusal to feed can last for few days but if present symptoms persist for more than week from now please visit your doctor again to rule out bacterial infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any more concerns.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Baby had vomiting, diarrhea, flu, fever. Now covered with rashes. Is this a normal reaction post flu? 1 hour later
Lastly if we are travelling to dominican republic for a week vacation on saturday, do you recomend i keep him away from the sun because of his rash? As a side note my mom has been around the baby 2 days during his flu and is now suffering with body aches loss of appetite and over all lethargic. Do you suppose sge could have caught his bug?
Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

Though the rash of viral illness is not likely to be exacerbated by sunlight, the usual precautions of sun protection like avoiding the peak noon time sun and sunbathing and using mild sunscreens should be practiced to prevent any dehydration, worsening or delayed healing. Also for better healing, do maintain good hydration of your child by giving plenty of water and home available fluids.

Your mother might be experiencing the prodromal symptoms of the viral infection as there is a likelihood of spread to susceptible contacts. She should confirm the same by getting evaluated by her physician and take rest and plenty of fluids along with supportive treatment like analgesics as per doctor’s advice.

Hope I have answered your query.