Baby, fever, lost appetite, baby panadol. Ibuprofen. Cure?

my 18mth old daughter has had a fever for the last 36 hours . it is night time now she is asleep and she is at 39.5 at its peak. during the day it has been 38.3 .She seems to be not to miserable should i take her into the doctor now or in the morning or monitor her? i have been giving her baby panadole.She has lost her appetite but seems to be sleeping alright at moment. Should i give her baby ibuprofen?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for the child and it is good that you have started her on baby Panadol. Fever is basically a mechanism of the body for fighting germs that cause infection. If your baby is sleeping soundly, is not fussy, eating and drinking adequate liquids then in my opinion, you can wait till the morning to consult a pediatrician.

You should get her monitored because sometimes fever can be due to bacterial or viral causes and in such cases a course of antibiotics may be needed for the child.

You should not give any Ibuprofen without prescription and examination from her pediatrician. A dose of acetaminophen or panadol which you have given is sufficient as an antipyretic (drugs that lower fever) and get her examined from a pediatrician tomorrow morning. However if the fever touches 39.5 degree C again then please do consult a doctor urgently.

Till that time ensure to give your child plenty of fluids to drink to prevent dehydration. Do not force her to eat or drink and give her clear soups, popsicles etc which she can digest easily. Also make her wear light cotton clothes.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.