Baby feed with milk before giving oral polio vaccination. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I had given oral polio vaccination to my daughter (1.5 years old) , but my wife gave her milk before 30 minutes, is there any problem with it? if yes what is the solution?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

Don't worry there will be no problem by giving milk to the child before (within) 30 minutes period after giving oral polio vaccination.

The 30 minute period after oral polio vaccine is formulated to avoid oral feeds to mix with vaccine as the attachment of oral polio vaccine virus to gut receptors is get affected by this dilution.

The usual practice is to keep the child stomach empty for 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after of the oral polio vaccine.

And follow the principle for future oral polio vaccinations.

Nothing to worry and there will be no side effects or any health related problems by this act.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Baby feed with milk before giving oral polio vaccination. Worrisome 14 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor for your help. But We didnt understand the following statement clearly. Can you please elaborate ?

"The 30 minute period after oral polio vaccine is formulated to avoid oral feeds to mix with vaccine as the attachment of oral polio vaccine virus to gut receptors is get affected by this dilution."

Also, does the affect of the oral polio drops reduce , since we gave her milk ? Do we need to give her OPV again (another dose) today ?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You are welcome,
And thank you for your query,

I will elaborate it like this:

We advise not to give oral feeds for 30 minutes after oral polio vaccines as there are chances of disturbance to the oral polio vaccine effectiveness by the milk because of dilution of polio drops in the intestine.

No need to give OPV another dose.

But just remember for the future doses of OPV.

Regards.