Baby cries until carried. Any solution?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my baby cries until we carry them. any solution?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

It would have been good if you could give a small background and situation of such 'cry'. What is the baby’s exact age? I will suggest today presuming your baby to be healthy and with no medical issues.

This is a very common problem encountered in newborn and infants in general. It is perfectly normal for a baby to cry. Most small babies cry between one hour and three hours each day. Your baby will need lots of cuddling, physical contact and reassurance to comfort him. Therefore, it may be that he just wants to be held. Try a baby sling to keep him close to you, perhaps swaying and singing to him while you hold him.

You may be worried about spoiling your baby if you hold him too much. However, during the first few months of his life that is not possible. Small babies need lots of physical comfort. If you hold your baby close, he may be soothed by hearing your heartbeat.

You can also download white-noise sounds or a white-noise app for your phone, or buy a white-noise CD created for babies. These mimic the sounds in the uterus and may soothe your crying baby.

You can check whether your baby is too hot or too cold by feeling his tummy. If his tummy feels too hot, remove a blanket, and if it feels cold, add one. Do not be guided by your baby's hands or feet, as they usually feel cool.

Babies usually love to be gently rocked. You could: Walk around while rocking him or Sit with him in a rocking chair. Try a massage or tummy rub.

Check it may be colic due to ingestion of air during feeds. This causes gaseous bloating. You could try feeding him in an upright position. Burp your baby after every feed by holding him against your shoulder for 5-10 min. Apart from this your pediatrician could prescribe anti colic medications for occasional use especially if there is excessive night time crying.

Please remember that, this crying is a phase for every baby and it will pass soon. Newborn babies are hard work but sweet pain for the parents. Being the parent of a newborn who cries a lot is even harder. Try to get help and support and good parents handle the patience. If this is a general query, my advice should be of some use to you.

If she has a medical issue, I would advise you to consult his pediatrician to rule out any significant problem and then if, the baby is found healthy then it's mostly a phase that will resolve on its own in 3 months or so.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries.