Baby couldn't be breastfed. Will it affect her & what is the solution?

my baby is 12 hrs old n couldn't be breastfed, what can we do? will my baby survive? what to do? Please advice ASAP
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 8 hours later

Newborns are born with protective sucking and feeding reflex, and most newborns of normal weight and neurology usually should be able to feed by themselves to breast.

You have not specified if the child was a premature baby or had any other issue like vomiting or congenital anomaly or if the baby required any life support after birth. You have also not specified if the baby can't feed or motrher couldn't feed, or baby was fed something else instead of breastmilk.

Often babies do come with reserve for 24 hours after birth, and otherwise normal babies can maintain sugar levels without causing serious harm. As the serious issues can at times be life threatening. Neglect may affect survival or may cause some handicap.

I feel there may be any of the serious issues mentioned above that need urgent attention by a pediatrician and neonatologist. Please insist a specialist to see the child and follow up back if you need further advice.

Hope my answer is both helpful and useful to you.

Wishing a healthy day for baby.

Follow-up: Baby couldn't be breastfed. Will it affect her & what is the solution? 34 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX , the baby is okay but the mother couldn't breastfeed and as the staff administered milk from another mother so the solution was temporary. As of now we have also taken aid of baby food yet the lactation is still not happening, the baby was born on 27/3/12 at 11:09 am, born CS both mother and child are normal, please advise for the mother's Lactation
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 11 hours later

I am happy that baby is healthy and clean. I would like to know why mother could not breastfeed. It’s important to know that most mothers can’t have lactation from day 1 after birth. It’s the baby's efforts and duration of suckling and being close to breasts will decide when to lactate and how much to lactate.

More the baby suckles around breast, longer the baby does it, and more milk output may start. Usually it takes around 48 hours of suckling that starts with quantity lactation. In first 48 hours, the few drops of colostrum what a baby may receive during suckling is often enough to maintain the child healthy. Avoid other mother’s milk as we may not know the infection status of that mother. Discuss with your doctor regarding improving lactation with medicines to mother in addition. Mother's lack of will power to feed the baby continuously often hampers lactation. More the outside milk/feeds for baby, lesser will be the stimulus for lactation.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Thanks.