Baby born with hole in heart. What treatment should be done?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Dear Doctor,
I need an opnion about my daugher who is about 1 yr old .By birth the baby had 3 holes in the heart . I had first cosulted with doctors in Jayadeva ,the doctor had told that the hole is graduly decreasing in size and two holes have already closed in the 5th month consultation . After one year when I did the con sutation the doctor says all the three holes are present and the baby needs to under go open heart surgery on second week of April.
For second opnion I consulted doctors in St Jhon,s the doctor has asked me to wait for 6 monts .
If you can share the e-mail id I shall send the reports as the site does not have the option to up load
I am confused what to do kindly suggest
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in I did go through your reports. Only thing I need to additionally to give you right advice is how is the baby? Does she have any symptoms such as not feeding well, breathlessness, excessive sweating? Failure to gain weight? Etc. Symptoms are more important than the reports.

If baby is healthy and does not have symptoms it's is reasonable to wait. Except for PDA other two holes are less likely to close, but considering their size it does not look like they need immediate closure.

If you have further queries ahead I am available.
Follow-up: Baby born with hole in heart. What treatment should be done? 15 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for writing to me. The baby is gorwing & feeding normaly.The baby has little breathlessness if she plays for 5 to 10 min continuesly.The baby is lean and gains about 500 to 750 gm in three months as of now she is 7.5 kg but if she gets fever or cold there is drop in weight gain.I would like to know if I wait,are there chances for closure of the holes if so what are the precautions & the feeding that has to be followed. Is there any medicne that you can sugest that will help in the closure/healing of the holes. Or if she under goes the operation what are the side effects my consern is in future she will under go physical biological change, would there be any problem when she is pragnent in future.
Kindly suggest
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 minutes later
There are no medicines or diet to close the hole. As I wrote previously, PDA may close other two may not. Sub pulmonic VSDs rarely close. Only issue is if baby is more than 10kg surgical risks will be less.

You can feed her normally. Except for avoiding direct contact with people with active infection there is no other precaution needed.