Baby born elsewhere, brought to home country, in constant crying mode. What to do ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my daughter was born and lived in australia for 2 months. after returning to my home country, she seems to be in constant crying mode. it is not normal crying but big crying that i didn't experience when we were in australia. here is very hot if compared to australia and it is 3 hours earlier. she cries mostly in daytime while in nighttime, she is rather quite nice. She seems to switch mood easily (she may suddenly cry after smiling earlier) please help.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 43 minutes later
Hello ,
Babies are not able to give clear signals of what they want. While it can seem as if your baby is crying for no apparent reason, trying to determine the cause of your baby s distress can help you to soothe her.
Crying has two main functions. One is a message to parents that something Is making the baby uncomfortable, such as hunger or a wet diaper. A baby s cry is designed to be heard. The second function of crying is a self-regulatory one. Babies use crying as an adaptive tool that helps them regulate themselves to their environment. For example, while riding in an airplane, an infant s crying is the body's attempt to deal with the change of air pressure in the plane.
If your baby is crying, try these strategies to comfort her:

Breastfeed or formula-feed if the baby hasn t been fed in the past two hours.
Change the diaper if necessary.
Make sure the baby is warm or cool enough.
Sing, put on soothing music or try  turning on a fan, radio or washing machine.
Rock the baby.
Take the baby for a walk or a drive.
Place the baby in a front pack carrier. This will free your hands to take care of household tasks, while giving your baby the close physical contact she desires.
Lay the baby down in her crib. Crying often results from fatigue or over-stimulation.
Swaddle your baby to help her feel comforted by close contact even when she isn t in your arms.

In your case , I understand that this is a sudden development of crying in an otherwise healthy baby which seems most probably due to a change in time zone and climate rather than any medical condition. It's less likely because colic often causes crying later in the day or evening and usually it starts in the first month itself and may continue till baby completes 3-4 months.

Another thing you can do is to help her set up a routine by having fixed bath and bedtime. Consistent approaches for dealing with infant crying, such as keeping the baby on a regulated schedule , a reliable, predictable pattern of care can be very comforting to a baby.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Baby born elsewhere, brought to home country, in constant crying mode. What to do ? 19 hours later
actually i have tried all of these. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. is it possible that a baby can cry to death? like shortage of breath?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry.
Excessive cry though frustrating for parents and stressful for baby , is not life threatening . It has not known to cause any deaths due to ashyxia ( shortage of oxygen ) or apnoea( stopping of breath).
If there is persistent inconsolable cry and none of your methods seem to control it you should take the baby to an urgent care facility or her pediatrician who can then assess the cause of crying and if due to any medical reasons like colic or earache or temperature disturbance , he can treat it accordingly.
You may try giving digestive drops ( neopeptine , colic aid ) etc as per the doctors prescription. If the doctor feels the need , in extreme cases he might sedate the baby with prescription medications but I do not think your baby needs it . Remember all medications do have sideffects so best to avoid or minimize the use in infants.
Also try to remain calm when she cries as maternal stress and anxiety will only worsen the problem.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.