BV, inflamed cervix, anaemia, heavy periods, clots, discharge in stools, bloating

Question
I have been diagnsed with BV and inflamed Cervix. I have anaemia due to my periods being so heavy and Clotty. My bowel movements differ by the day, one minute I am constipated the next I have diarrhea. I have now noticed a whitish/yellowish discharge in my stools which is very noticeable. I also have constant dull like period type pain and bloatedness which can change my dress size by the day also! ... What could be causing all these problems?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later

Your history states that you were diagnosed to have Bacterial Vaginosis. It occurs due to the overgrowth of normal vaginal flora. It usually presents with abnormal homogeneous white vaginal discharge especially after sexual Intercourse with an unpleasant smell. It is caused by diverse organisms like Gardnerella, Bacteroids and Mycoplasma.

The antibiotic of choice Is Metronidazole which you have been using.

Cervical Inflammation could be due to ascending of Infection- Bacterial vaginosis. Cervical Inflammation can present as low backache, dull pain as is in your case.

Other symptoms may include Bleeding, Itching, Painful Intercourse, Foul discharge
and Spotting after intercourse or in between periods.

And regarding your bloatedness and alteration in bowel habits, if you find them to have started after antibiotic usage could be antibiotic associated or if it was there since the time of your vaginal Infection could be due to ascending of infection from vagina to anal canal since both lie in proximity.

You might have to get your stool sample tested and might have to undergo sigmoidoscopy.

Initially visit your gynecologist and she would treat this condition or refer you to medical gastroenterologist accordingly.

Some precautions to be taken to prevent vaginal Infection and cervicitis in the future include,

1. To wear panties made of natural fiber. Also a pantyhose that have a cotton crotch that will breathe. This helps to prevent wetness and heat.

2. Always pay attention to Genital hygiene.

3. Avoid habits which lower your Immune system like smoking.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries If any.

Regards.