BRCA1 positive. Suspected DCIS. Considering mastectomy. How long should I need to wait post surgery to conceive?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
I am waiting for biopsy results for a birads 4 suspected DCIS presenting as a 2cm linear enhancement. I am BRCA1 positive and had already decided to have a doibel mastectomy after our sexind child which we are currently trying for. I guess what i need to know is regardless of this result i am consedering moving the mastectomy forward but want to know how ling i wiild need to wait post surgery before tryibg to get pregnant again?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 15 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Double mastectomy is one of the options to reduce the risk of breast cancer in a patient who is BRCA positive but there are certain things which you should be aware of before undergoing this surgery. We usually recommend double mastectomy after completion of the family, which in your case is incomplete. Another thing which you need to remember is that you will not be able to breastfeed after a double mastectomy.

Considering your history of ? DCIS, you will need to undergo surgery soon and you can plan a second child within a few months of the surgery. If there lump turns out to be malignant, then you would require chemotherapy, in which case you cannot plan a second pregnancy. Even if it is DCIS, in certain scenarios (like high grade DCIS), you might require radiotherapy and in that case also you cannot plan a pregnancy. If the DCIS is hormone receptor (ER,PR) positive, you would require tamoxifen for 5 years.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Rohan Khandelwal
Breast Surgeon
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: BRCA1 positive. Suspected DCIS. Considering mastectomy. How long should I need to wait post surgery to conceive? 1 hour later
Thankyou for you response, what is the main reason that completion of the family is recommended. Is it purely that breastfeeding is not able to be performed or are there other complications?
I am aware that i may have no choice regarding family if the DCIS is malignant but am trying to establish the best way forward should the results be negative and wish to understand why your recommendation to wait is advised.
Thaks againn

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 5 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your question. The main reason behind double mastectomy after completion of family is breastfeeding only.

In your case, even if it turns out to be DCIS, after the mastectomy, you will probably require hormonal treatment, if ER, PR are positive and in that case you will not be able to plan a pregnancy.