BP test done, walk regularly. Result normal ?

i am a active 33 year old male my blood pressure is 137 over 90 is this acceptable, weight 95 kg, muscualar build. WaLK 6 MILE A DAY
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 17 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your Blood Pressure condition.
As per the JNC 8 (Joint National Committee) guidelines on hypertension, (Systolic and diastolic) blood pressure readings are: Normal <120 and <80, Prehypertension 120–139 or 80–89, Hypertension, Stage 1 140–159 or 90–99, Hypertension, Stage 2 ≥160 or ≥100.

So, that means you are in the prehypertensive stage. But, since you do not have any risk factor like diabetes, kidney conditions, you would need treatment only if have other cardiovascular risks that are known to cause hypertension. There are a certain list of conditions that your physician will have to rule out like BMI (Body Mass index), family history and so on. I do not have your height, so I can not calculate your BMI.

My advice to you for now:
1. Get an appointment with the physician for a good accurate BP readings, and assessment for risk factors.
2. Good physical training, keep that going.
3. Check your diet chart, go low on sodium/salt/red meats.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations do not hesitate to write again.

Follow-up: BP test done, walk regularly. Result normal ? 19 minutes later
By height is 5ft 8 and my weight is 14 stone 2, muscualr build
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing again,

So your BMI, as I calculate is 29.8 based on your values, which means you are in the overweight category, that implies one on the list of cardiovascular risk factors of hypertension (Actually BMI of more than or equal to 30)

You would have to be assessed further for other probable risk factors on the list, with needed investigations which would be discussed in detail by your doctor.
Meanwhile, simple ones you can follow - Cut cigarettes/alcohol. Have diet XXXXXXX in fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy products with reduced content of saturated and total fat.

You have to get the physician's opinion first for another important reason, as that may determine the cause of your obesity and only if all medical causes are ruled out - you can go on a weight reduction plan of maintaining a normal body weight. (body mass index 18.5–24.9)

Never go on crash diet. It is not medically right.