BP raised after accident. Getting irritation in palms and legs. Safe to take aldonil 150 mg OD?

Sep 2012

Dear Doctor
Due to a minor accident about 10 months back my blood sugar had shot up to 160 levels.After treatment for the accident ( a surgery in my right leg knee fitted with screws) and further medicines for the ortho treatment the blood sugar is under control now.But unfortunately there is irritation in my palms of the legs.My doctor has advised me to take aldonil 50 mg tablets twice daily and now advised to take aldonil 150 mg OD.Still i am feeling irritation in my feet.Kindly advise me.IMy age is 70.
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, accident cannot give rise to diabetes. It is quite common in your age. But the strange thing is the medication. Aldonil contains Epalrestat which causes antihyperglycemic agent. But this is not the first line therapy.

Most importantly, the drug has some side effects of cutaneous reactions like bullous disease. So, the symptom you described may be the early stage of any skin reaction. So, you have to stop the drug. Consult with your treating doctor about it. There are many antihyperglycemic agents which are quite effective and have less side effects. If your kidney conditions is not up to the XXXXXXX which is quite common in this age group, then insulin is the only drug which should be prescribed.

Lastly, I want to highlight another possibility. In case of liver function abnormality where bilirubin is higher than normal, then also you can feel the irritation in skin. So, to be on safe side, you should do a liver function test.

Right now, you can take cetirizine 10 mg before going to bed will reduce your feeling of irritation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: BP raised after accident. Getting irritation in palms and legs. Safe to take aldonil 150 mg OD? 14 hours later
Dear Doctor
I am thankful for the suggestion.I wish to inform you that I am not having irritation in the skin.But I am having burning sensation on the palm of my legs.I am taking DUOMET 500 ER one daily and the sugar is under control.The doctor who is also the diabetologist has told that the problem is because of the nerves are affected due to the increase of blood sugar at the time of accident for which he has prescribed Aldonil.Kindly suggest a suitable remedy.
Thanking you
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, you have mentioned irritation in your first question. You did not mentioned about duomet.

If your treating doctor suspects it as diabetic neuropathy, then also this aldonil is not indicated. In that case, tricyclic antidepressants like imipramine, amitriptyline, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like duloxetine are the drug of choice.

So, it is better to consult with your treating doctor to stop the aldonil. As I previously told it is used in diabetes. Secondly, you need the drugs I mentioned earlier.