BP medication, Ecosprin, Atorva, weight loss, irregular BM, mucosal thickening

I am 64 years old female and had a history of CVA-brain and now I am on BPmedicines,diabeties medicines and also on ecospirin and atorva 10mg.Recently I have started losing some weight(around 6-7kgs in 6months) and also some irregular bowel movements.I have contacted my doctor and they have suggested me to do CT scan.The following is the report for CT scan:
Suspicious Mild Mucosal Thickening and enhancement of left colon.Imagingappearance is non specific and clinical correlation is suggested.
I have also undergone all other blood tests and stool test and everything came to normal.Now my doctor has told me that it could be due to age related but he has suggested me to do colonoscopy.I am very afraid to undergo this procedure.Please suggest whether the results of CT scan are normal or not.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 19 minutes later

The CT report indicates the presence of area of abnormality within the left colon. This abnormal appearance along with the main clinical findings in your case, including - age > 60 years and loss of significant amount of weight - indicate that this abnormality could be due to :-

1. Colitis (Inflammation of the colon)
2. Polyp ( benign tumors of the colon)
3. Invasive Colon cancer ( Malignant tumors)

The usual step, when a CT shows such findings - is to obtain a tissue diagnosis, via a biopsy of the affected site, in this case, the colon.

Hence a colonoscopy is very important for proper diagnosis and treatment of your condition, and to prevent any complications. There is no need to fear the procedure, as it is a much pain less procedure and is done with the use of anesthesia in most centres.

You might consult with your gastroenterologist for clarification of any doubts, before you undergo any procedures.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .

Follow-up: BP medication, Ecosprin, Atorva, weight loss, irregular BM, mucosal thickening 16 minutes later
1) Risks of Colonoscopy for a diabetic ,hypertensive patient along with a history of CVA brain
2) Are all the above conditions treatable
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Colonoscopy, is a very common procedure and is does not affect or produce any complication with relation to medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension or a prior history of stroke.

Colitis, is treatable with a course of antibiotics

In case of a polyp, the gastroenterologist, will remove the polyp, during the colonoscopy procedure itself, so the procedure is both diagnostic and therapeutic at the same time.

In case of colon cancer, first staging is done by histologic analysis of the biopsy specimen taken during the colonoscopy. Depending on the stages treatment involves complete surgical excision, radiotherapy or chemotherapy.

I hope this clears any of your doubts.