BP and sugar normal under medication. Numbness and burning sensation on feet. Prognosis?

Hi Doc. For the year I have this burning/pin pricking/numbness mostly on front part of my feet. My B P and sugar are normal under medication. This sensation is restricted to the soles of my feet.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later

Thank you for writing to us.

This sensation is called paresthesia. The sensation is caused due to damage, injury or disease of sensory nerves. If you have ruled out diabetic neuropathy and hypertension, then these are the remaining possibilities:
-Peripheral neuropathy
-Peripheral artery disease
-Multiple sclerosis
-Tarsal tunnel syndrome
-Peripheral nerve trauma
-Peripheral nerve compression
-Cold weather (conditions leading to poor circulation)
-Cerebrovascular accident
-Injury to sole of foot

As there are quite a few conditions, I would recommend you visit a neurologist, who after a thorough examination will surely diagnose and simultaneously treat you.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications.

Best wishes.