BP 138/71, pulse rate 58. OK?

bp range
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later

As your query is incomplete, I would like to know a few things:
1)What is your age?
2)Do you smoke or consume alcohol?
3)How is your diet?
4)Do you exercise daily ? do you lead a sedentary life?
5)What is your occupation?

Blood pressure is the pressure exerted by the blood flowing through the blood vessel on to the vessel wall. It can be arterial or venous pressure. Arterial pressure is the one which is usually monitored by a BP monitor or a sphygmomanometer. It works by obstructing the flow of the blood externally and measuring it during relieving the pressure.

The normal range of Blood pressure are as follows:
Hypotension: less than 90/60 mm of Hg (systolic/diastolic)
Normal: 100-120/60-80 mm of Hg
Prehypertension: 120-139/80-89 mm of Hg
Stage 1 high blood pressure: 140-159/90-99 mm of Hg
Stage 2 high blood pressure: 160 and above/100 and above mm of Hg.

High blood pressure/Hypertension, makes the heart work harder to pump blood to the body and it contributes to hardening of the arteries or atherosclerosis.

Causes for Hypertension:
1) Stress
2) Smoking
3) Genetics
4) Old age
5) Excess alcohol consumption
6) Excess salt consumption
7) Adrenal and Kidney disorders.

Causes for Hypotension:
1) Pregnancy
2) Hormonal problems - hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, or low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
3) Overdose of Anti Hypertensive drugs
4) Heart failure
5) Heart arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms)
6) Widening, or dilation, of the blood vessels
7) Heat exhaustion or heat stroke
8) Liver disease.

If you could give your values of blood pressure , I could help you in interpreting them.

Hope I have answered your query, for any further doubts I am available here.

Follow-up: BP 138/71, pulse rate 58. OK? 13 minutes later
I am 47, weigh 85kg and am 191 cm
I don't smoke
I drink approx one bottle of wine a week
My diet is very healthy and avoid saturated fats
I exercise 3 to 4 times a week
I am a Euro Vice President of a large Usa company
Sorry meant to give you my bp reading taken this morning

138 over 71 with a pulse of 58

Good to hear from you again.

After interpreting the information provided by you, I would like to know a few more things:
1) Do you regularly get your Blood pressure monitored?
2) Are you on any Antihypertensive medications?
3) Any other health problems?

Your Blood Pressure reading falls in the Prehypertension range. It has to be controlled by the following:
1) Daily Physical exercises - Brisk walking everyday for a period of an Hour. It has to be started slowly with a speed of 6 km per hour gradually increasing the distance.
2) Reduce in salt intake.
3) Avoid wine (350ml of alcohol per week is considered good for health - theoretically). But it would be better if avoided.
4) To get your Blood pressure monitored regularly and if not under control I would suggest you to be examined by a Physician.

Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 23.3 which is within the normal range (18.5-24.9). Try to loose around 10 kg of weight gradually as 75 kg would be considered as your ideal weight.

Maintaining a healthy life style is the key to the good health. Hope you will find my suggestions helpful.

Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: BP 138/71, pulse rate 58. OK? 2 hours later
Hello again,

thank you for your answer.

I check my BP at home a couple of times a week - its consistently around this range - i am not on any anti hypertensives or do i have any known health problems.

I walk most days and exercise hard for a couple of hours between 3 and 4 times a week - my salt intake is minimal and do not add any to my cooking and am aware of salt content in pre-prepared food.

If i was too loose 10 kg I would look very ill!!! my waist measurement is 32 inches - my % body fat is 15% - I am already regarded as lean and told by family to put some weight on!!

I will continue to monitor my BP and also visit my GP

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 13 hours later

Thank you for your reply.

Glad to know that you are maintaining a healthy life style. As you know most of the cases of Hypertension are due to unidentified causes, I would suggest you to try meditation along with your routine physical exercises.

As your body fat is 15%, you don't need to loose any more weight and try to maintain it at present range.

Please continue to monitor your Blood pressure and regular follow ups with your General Physician.

Wish you a good health.