BM seemed darker than normal, have been under stress since months. Had taken pepto tablets. Help?

The last two times I had a bowel movement it has been darker then normal. It has been like a little black but green. I took two pepto bismol tablets on Sunday, Monday it was different and today it was different. I got myself worked up so I had diaharra on top of it. I was wondering also I have been really stressed and anxious for the last couple of months and for about a month I started taking adavane like 3 times a week. I also started taking tru biotics. Could it just be the pepto tablets that are still working themselves out, it says darker Color stool as side effect, and I do not have regular bowel movements. I'm just scared because it says it could be blood in stool on the Internet. Please help.

Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Though bleeding in the upper GI tract can cause black stools, similar looking stools can be due to other causes as well like taking pepto bismol, iron supplements etc. In your case, it could be due to pepto bismol.
A stool test may be done confirmation.

If it is persistent even after stopping pepto bismol or if the hemoglobin is dropping, then an upper GI endoscopyy may be done.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini