BM at night, taken Trazadone, supplements for insomnia. Reason for timing of BM?

I have bowel movements at night. They are normal bowel movements, except for the timing. They occur about 1am, 4am, and 7am. I have had problems with insomnia in the past (not related to bowel movements) but have been recovering from it by using supplements and a little medication( 100 mg trazadone). What could be causing this timing problem?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The reason of having bowel movement at night could be-
1.Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
2.Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative colitis C- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyp or gastritis.
Please visit your gastroenterologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case so that proper treatment can be initiated early.

For temporary relief start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: BM at night, taken Trazadone, supplements for insomnia. Reason for timing of BM? 3 hours later
Is it possible to have one of these things when there are no symptoms except having the bowel movements at the wrong time?

Thanks for writing again.

IBS (Irritable Bowels) are quite possible.

These may be likely organic causes and to rule them out you need to be investigated. If all these conditions are ruled out then may be a baseline anxiety is also responsible.

Initially such conditions are symptom less and present with nocturnal bowel movements.

Get investigated instead of feeling anxious. Your family doctor /GP can be the first doctor whom you can visit.