BAckache, headcaches, hurting of spine. Is it cancer or fibromyalgia, advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 30, I have been experiencing lingering back pain for the last 7 years, it feels as if my whole spine hurts. I have had an Mri and they came up with bulging disks, but said I was fine. My spine always feels inflamed and my head always has these weird headaches, almost like an ichy feeling, not the typical headache I was accustomed to for majority of my life. Also, i have been sleeping sometimes for 12-15 hours some days, I mean I am a graduate student, and I do not eat good all the time, recently lost about 20 pounds. I just feel like the doctors are missing something, maybe i have an underlying cancer, or I did have unprotected sex when I was younger, but I was checked for all things, it almost resembles the fibromyalgia, but I know that is just a disorder that docs claim patients have when they do not know what it is?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems that along with the bulging discs which are causing a back pain, you are suffering from mild depression too.
The loss of appetite, persistent headache and weight loss might also be indicative of a systemic disorder like thyroid disturbances, metabolic disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic viral infections, etc.
Proper blood investigations will be helpful after a detailed examination in determining the exact cause.
With everything you have described I recommend you make an appointment for a thorough consultation and examination by a general physician who may consider checking some blood tests to rule out any metabolic factors in your case. Let me reassure you that a good physician will be able to help you get to the bottom of this and then implement some solutions.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: BAckache, headcaches, hurting of spine. Is it cancer or fibromyalgia, advise? 39 minutes later
Another symptom that I forgot to tell you was that I have chronic dirrhea, I got blood work done at the clinic, they tested me for arthritis and for lymes disease. I am having a hard time coping with life living this way. What type of headaches are these? It is like a pressure on the scalp, sometimes it clouds my cognitive ability. What type of blood tests do I need?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.
I can understand your distress.
The presence of chronic diarrhea does indicate an immunological factor involved in the pathogenesis.
Such problems do need a comprehensive evaluation. Your different symptoms are not likely to be explainable by a single disease. For frequent headaches, you can get an MRI of head done to find out any organic pathology under the guidance of a neurologist. Such symptoms can be due to a psychogenic illness also. An evaluation by a psychoanalyst will also be helpful.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.