Awakened from sleep with increased heart beat. Does not happen when I sleep sitting up

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
Hello, I am having a problem in where I lie down to go to sleep and my heart rate is normal, around 56-60 beats per minute. Once I fall asleep, many times I am awakened with my heart rate beating faster, 85-90 bpm. It does not seem to happen when I sleep sitting up but I am not sure on the last part.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later

It's quite normal to wake up with blood pressure and heart rate of about 10 more than usual average heart rate. Also there can dreams and night terrors which when happen we don't recollect them, but they can also produce higher heart rate.

This is all normal and I don't see any reason for you to be concerned nor do I see need for investigation or work up.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns, I will be glad to guide you. And if I have answered all your queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Awakened from sleep with increased heart beat. Does not happen when I sleep sitting up 26 minutes later
Hi Dr Koregol, thank you for your reply. It's actually 20-30 minutes higher than my normal resting heart rate. Is this still normal?
Correction, this time it went higher. I fell asleep with my pulse rate at 82 when it is normally around 57-60 when lying down. I awoke 30 minutes later and it was 106 and I felt very anxious. It only seems to happen when I am sleeping.

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I would like to reassure you that everything is normal if you woke up anxious and it can be much higher than the normal ten beats I described.

However, I would suggest that you try some XXXXXXX breathing, yoga or meditation to help relieve the anxiety. If this does not work, I would suggest that you speak with your treating physician about the same.