Aunt has vomiting and diarrhea. Is there any chance that I can get the bug? Am emetophobic

My aunt came down with a stomach bug (vomiting/diarrhea) earlier today. I live downstairs from her and was around her earlier in the day.

She started showing symptoms at around 2PM and I have not shown any symptoms yet (10 hours later). I just had a bowl movement and it was completely normal. My stomach is fine, actually a bit hungry.

With my stomach feeling hungry and passing a normal bowl movement, is there any chance I can still come down with the bug?

I am so paranoid about this because I am emetophobic and haven't vomited in 15 years.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 48 minutes later

I understand your concern.

I do not think there is any chance of you coming down with the bug, unless you have also eaten the same food or drank the same water as your aunt.

It is not contagious also; there is no need to worry. You may as well relax and eat something for your hunger.

Wishing your aunt a speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Aunt has vomiting and diarrhea. Is there any chance that I can get the bug? Am emetophobic 5 minutes later
Eaten the same food meaning that you think my aunts illness is related to something she ate (bad food, e-coli, etc.) or do you mean like sharing utensils and cups? We do drink the same water (tap water) but I have not shared any glasses or utensils or anything like that.

As of now I feel fine and by having a normal bowl movement I kind of figured that if I was going to come down with something that bowl movement wouldn't have been normal.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, your aunt's illness seems to be most probably related to the food that she may have consumed and it does not cause illness by sharing the utensils and cups.

I do not think it is due to the same water as you are normal till now. Moreover, symptoms usually start within 6 hours. It is more than 10 hours now; you have had a normal bowel movement. You are unlikely to develop any sign or symptoms now.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Wish you good health.