Attempted suicide. Having headache, feeling shock in back of head. Noticed blood while cleaning ear. What to do?

Question
I have a friend who tried to hang himself yesterday and ever since he's been having headaches, throbbing in the back of his head, today he felt like a shock in the back of his head and everything started going black, and after he showered yesterday he cleaned his left ear with a q-tip and there was some blood....what should he do?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 19 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

In the first place,since he attempted suicide, it is a must that he undergoes counselling. He might have had depression or something worrying him, which must have led him to take the drastic step. Please visit a physician/psychiatrist at the earliest.

I hope I have answered your queries.I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries,please accept my answer.Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Attempted suicide. Having headache, feeling shock in back of head. Noticed blood while cleaning ear. What to do? 5 minutes later
Yes, but is it normal with all the pain and blood in his ear?

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 18 minutes later
Hi there,

He could be having some amount of brain damage . His brain would have been deprived of oxygen while attempting hanging. It may/may not get corrected.It depends on the period for which he was found hanging.

Even vigorous cleaning of the ear with a q-tip can also cause bleeding due to trauma. It might even be self inflicted.

Please visit a doctor as soon as possible to prevent your friend from causing further harm to himself.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Attempted suicide. Having headache, feeling shock in back of head. Noticed blood while cleaning ear. What to do? 24 minutes later
I have been telling him to go see a doctor.

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 59 minutes later
You are welcome .