Attained menopause. Minimal exercise. Why are upper thighs, buttocks, legs paining?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 55 year old woman, already through menopause....lately my body aches, specifically in my buttocks and back of upper thighs on both legs. I thought it was my chair at work just making me uncomfortable, and so I have been sitting on a pillow, but still no relief. It feels like how your muscles ache a day or two after a strenous workout, however, I have not been working out in any different way than I always do.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The pain in your muscles of thigh and legs are likely to be due to age related osteoporosis. After menopause such changes are common and may be superadded with osteoarthritis of large joints.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and calcium supplements with some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily to the pain killer you are already taking. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the hip and spine, CT / MRI scans of the spine will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.