Atrial fibrillation, sleep apnea and high blood pressure patient. On olmetec and pradaxa. Having dizziness. Why?

Hi I have atrial fibrillation and high blood pressure along with sleep apnea. A few days back I had a very dizzy spell where I had to sit down. I started to sweat profusely and I felt like I was going to throw up. This lasted about 5 minutes. I am on olmetec and pradaxa. What do you think happened. It scares me because i just had a sister die at 57 of a massive stroke and my father died at 47 of a massive heart attack.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See your MD soon

Detailed Answer:
This could be related to the fibrillation. Sometimes if the pulse gets too high it can trigger symptoms such as dizziness or excessive fatigue.

Also, we worry about adequate blood flow through the carotid arteries. If there is any blockage there it could cause dizziness.

Lastly, an echocardiogram may be helpful if one has not been done within the last year.

Please bring this to the attention of your doctor - an adjustment of your medication may be needed and possibly a diagnostic test may be indicated.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns regarding this issue.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Atrial fibrillation, sleep apnea and high blood pressure patient. On olmetec and pradaxa. Having dizziness. Why? 13 minutes later
Is it normal to have afib a few times a year and then for the last two I have had no occurences. I have always felt my afib but can you convert and not feel when you are in it?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Absolutely - conversions in and out of afib can be asymptomatic. This is referred to as paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.