Atrial fibrillation, electrocardioversion, on Multaq, longevity effected ?

Hello. My dad suffers from afib. He has had electrocardioversion and is
on Multaq. Will afib affect his longevity?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Atrial fibrillation is a relatively common phenomenon treated by cardiologists quite successfully. The cardioversion was done in order to try and restore the normal rhythm of the heart and is successful in some patients. Modern medicine now affords patients with atrial fibrillation to live long and healthy lives. The afib will not affect his longevity as long as he maintains the Multaq taken on a daily basis and follows with his primary physician and cardiologist on a routine basis.

Sometimes, patients with afib are at some degree of higher risk of developing blood clots and your dad's physicians may recommend he be placed on blood thinners to minimize this risk.

Honestly, as long as he continues a healthy diet with regular exercise, good blood pressure and blood sugar control, there is no obstacle to him living a very long and enjoyable life.

I hope I have provided an adequate answer to your question today. I am available for your followups.