Atopic dermatitis for 6 years, segmental vitiligo. Treatment and side effects?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX I suffer from atopic dermatitis since last 6 years. I would like to know the options to restore color in my skin after suffering from segmental vitiligo which has been controlled. Also, what can be the side effects of each?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Vitiligo is pigmentary disorder in which melanocytes die as a result of multiple causes.

The condition is treatable. Visit a dermatologist who can suggest and guide you through appropriate treatment. Treatment options are Oral n topical steroids, Tacrolimus , Phototherapy and photochemotherapy, surgery. Sometimes phototherapy is combined with immunomodulatory therapies like placentrix for better effects.

Phototherapy especially targeted phototherapy is extremely effective n safe.

All these therapies are quite effective and safe with minimal side effects.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more queries, I will be available to clarify them.

Follow-up: Atopic dermatitis for 6 years, segmental vitiligo. Treatment and side effects? 14 hours later
Is phototherapy a 100% removal or still some marks would be visible? Also, I read somewhere online that melanocytes can also be transplanted directly to treat it? How effective is that? Also, what about grafting?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Phototherapy does not assure a 100% result. It lightens the marks significantly.

Direct transplantation of melanocytes and skin grafting are the absolutely safe and effective therapies with very good results. It's the best treatment options out of all.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.