Atkins diet, high protein diet, stopped periods, not pregnant, result of diet ?

Hi I am doing the XXXXXXX diet and was wondering if this high protein diet could stop my menstrual period? I am positive I am not pregnant!! thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 2 hours later

Thanks for your query

Atkin's diet as proposed by Dr.Atkin's is a diet plan for weight loss.Here, through this diet, one is encouraged to increase the protein intake and reduce the carbohydrates so that the body changes its metabolism and goes into a state called as KETOSIS.By doing so , one is able to control their insulin levels and bring in good amount of fat metabolism, to burn out the stored fat in the body.

Fat being a stored component in the body , is put to use only when there is shortage of carbohydrates which act as the energy or fuel supply for the body's activity, by creating an absence of carbohydrates through this diet, one aims at utilizing most of the body fat and hence the weight loss happens.This process is called lipolysis. Hence through lipolysis and ketosis the body burns calories easily and the craving for carbohydrates do reduce.

To just put a word of caution , there have been many types of diet introduced in recent times , including Atkin's diet and many nutritionists believe that this diet does have side effects which can jeopardize the whole metabolism of the body . Creating a state of ketosis can be XXXXXXX and many believe that this diet "runs counter to all the current evidence based diet managements".

This diet or any change in lifestyle and diet modifications will lead to a change in the metabolism which involve your hormones as well. When the hormone levels fluctuate, the menstrual cycles also alter, be it in their dates, flow or even duration.Hence your diet has a role in causing the menstrual cycles to stop or vary.

I hope your following this diet under the supervision of a nutritionist or a health care professional only and not all on your own.

It is upto you to decide on continuing with the same . I suggest you get a re view on this from your doctor and get a general physical examination as well, you may also need to check on your blood counts , hemoglobin levels for anemia and your blood sugar, urine routine for ketone bodies.

I hope I was able to answer your question.I will be available for follow up queries as well.