Athletic. Had ventricular ectopic beats. Got abnormal ECG report. Easy way to get cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
had an ECG. QRS axis -35..abnormal. i had an abnormal ectopic ventricular beat. i am a 38 yr female..good health...athletic
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the ECG abnormalities reported in your case are minor and there is no need to worry.

Axis deviation of that magnitude can occur in healthy people too, so, in isolation, this finding has no clinical significance.

Similarly, occasional ventricular ectopic beats are fairly common in normal people. However, if they occur in runs (three or more together) or if they are associated with low BP, we need to evaluate them and treat them.

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Athletic. Had ventricular ectopic beats. Got abnormal ECG report. Easy way to get cure? 16 minutes later
thank you! I am going to a cardiologist for a cardiac assessment and co-management tomorrow, i am running a marathon in XXXXXXX so doc wants to double check. what does -35 QRS axis mean? i just fear heart disease...no family history.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Normal QRS axis is upto -30. So -35 is slightly outside of that range, and means a mild left axis deviation.

QRS axis refers to the mean flow of electrical current in the heart muscles during depolarization, and it can range from -30 to +90.

So, again to let you know that your findings are clinically insignificant, and there is no need to worry.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM