Ate spicy food and during BM, had pain in lower abdomen, perspiring and nauseated. Feels weak and sweaty

my son ate very spicey tai food last night. today during BM, had SEVERE shart pain in lower abdomen during BM, He was perspiring and nausiated. He finished and has no pain but feels weak and sweaty. He is 34 years old, an athlete and very fit.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question. From the information you have sent it appears that your son has consumed some very spicy food. After having a bowel movement he's having some degree of abdominal discomfort.

There are several considerations in this case. I think it is very important to continually observe his symptoms for the next 24 hours. There are a couple of things that might cause the symptoms he is experiencing. One consideration is that the food might have been contaminated. If the food was contaminated sometimes this can create a small infection in the intestines. This would create symptoms of fevers and chills as well as diarrhea. If he develops these symptoms it would be important that you taken to a local emergency room for evaluation and consideration of antibiotics.

More likely it is that he is having some cramping related to some of the content of the food. The food might have significant amounts of salt as well as spicy vegetables and meat which can sometimes cause cramping. Usually the symptoms will resolve within 24 hours.

I would recommend that you make sure that he drinks plenty of fluids over the next 24 hours. I would also make sure that his diet is very bland and that he consumes things like bread rice and toast or applesauce for the next 24 hours. I expect to symptoms to gradually improve over that period of time.

If this collection of symptoms do not improve within the next 24 to 48 hours I would bring him for evaluation by a local physician.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga