Ask a Dentist   »  

Ate hot food and accidentally burned my mouth. How to cure this?

Hi.I ate some hot food and accidentally burned my mouth.It is actually my upper palate.I thought it will heal automatically but it's almost a week now and it's not getting better.I have difficulty eating or even putting anything in my mouth. When only my tongue passes over it, it hurts so bad. What can I do?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 51 minutes later
Hello there and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your history, I can say your palate has been inflammed due to thermal trauma.

Consumption of hot food has injured the palatal mucosa and it may have developed ulceration in the affected area.

It normally heals within 5 to 7 days with symptomatic treatment provided there is no super infection.

I would suggest you to apply an antiseptic, anesthetic oral ointment topically over the inflammed area which provides numbing effect, helps in faster healing and relives pain.

Use antiseptic mouthwash for oral rinsing, this gives soothing effect to the palate.

Start with a course of antioxidants two times daily and analgesics to relive pain.
I hope this information helps you.
Get well soon.

Dr. Farah Hussain.