Ate almond and had tightness in throat, no hives and skin irritation. Took Benadryl. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
I ate an almond about 4 hours ago which I haven't eaten in a long time. I experienced some tightness in throat a bit after which has since disappeared however no hives or skin irritation. I also took Benadyl right after in case. Should I be concerned?all
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No cause for worry. No treatment required.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no cause for worry.

2. Any immediate hypersensitivity would have shown up.

3. Since you have taken a dose of Benadryl (dipenhydramine), it will settle any allergy.

4. No further examination and treatment is necessary if there are no further symptoms and if the tightness in the throat disappears.

5. There is no cure for allergy, hence avoidance in the future is the best measure.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Ate almond and had tightness in throat, no hives and skin irritation. Took Benadryl. Suggest? 3 minutes later

Thanks for your answer. Do I have any risk for anaphylaxis? Is it ok for me to go to sleep?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk of anaphylaxis is very low.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The risk of anaphylaxis is very low.

2. However if there is no one with you, you may delay sleep by a few hours if possible.

Regards.