At what intervals should cholesterol be checked? Is it hereditary?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Dear Sir,
Earlier I had a cholesterol level of 217 & have brought it down to 195 due to diet control & normal walking. However, at what frequency this should be checked ? I also wanted to know whether this is purely hereditary (as my mother has a problem of high blood cholesterol & my father had angina)
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 53 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome...

Firstly, congratulations on the awareness about your health, and getting down your cholesterol levels.

Normally when our cholesterol level is high, we should check every 3 months.
once it is under control its depend on risk factors and over all patient's condition like if patient is young of less than 40, may repeat after 1 year.
If patients are more than 50 with diabetes, hypertensive, obese we can repeat after 6 months or so...
It is not always hereditary; it is also affected by our dietary habits.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you healthy heart.