At what age can a girl get her first period?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
At what age can a girl get her first period ?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Average age is 11-14 years.

Detailed Answer:

First period or menstrual cycle in female or girl is called menarche in medical term.

The average age of menarche is 11 to 14 years, but it can be as early as 8 years and as late as 16 years and still be normal.

Premature or delayed menarche should be investigated - ie before 8 years or after 16 years.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: At what age can a girl get her first period? 1 hour later
If a person who has sperm on his fingers places them in his partners vagina during foreplay, can she get pregnant this way??

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, she may get pregnant but low chance.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, sexual partner can be pregnant through inserting finger inside vagina after touching own semen or sperm. It depends on fertile days or ovulation day which is between 12th-18th day of each regular 28-30 days menstrual cycle.

However, chance of being pregnant by above method is quite low in comparison to unprotected vaginal intercourse. It should be confirmed by home pregnancy test if she misses her regular period.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: At what age can a girl get her first period? 20 hours later
Can a girl get pregnant before her first period ??

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, can't be pregnant before first period.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

No, a girl can't be pregnant before her first period as there is no ovulation occurred. Pregnancy is quite impossible without proper ovulation and unprotected sex.

Hope, it helps to clear your doubts. You can close the discussion.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: At what age can a girl get her first period? 44 minutes later
But can she not get pregnant as ovulation can occur a year before her period is due so Can she not get pregnant at the time of ovulation even though she has not had her first period??? Or is it impossible to get pregnant before first period??

Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chance of pregnancy is very much rare.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for additional queries.

First of all, you would know that most girls are presented with anovulatory cycle or without ovulation for 1-2 years after their first period. So, ovulation can't be occurred before her first period and next 1-2 years in general.

Next thing, chance of getting pregnant is very much minimal or rare if sexual intercourse is done on ovulation day - approx 2 weeks before her first menstrual cycle started (which is unpredictable). If she is young & period is not occurred till now then pregnancy is quite impossible.

Last thing, if she is older and likely to start her period (unpredicted), chance of pregnancy is quite less. However, it is a quite good idea to undergo one home pregnancy test 2 weeks after last sexual activity to exclude least possibility.

Blood test for beta-HCG or ultrasound scan is a confirmatory diagnostic method for such case. It will clear all doubts and give mental relief.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: At what age can a girl get her first period? 24 minutes later
Thanyyou. These questions are for general knowledge and research purposes. Basically it is true to say that if a girl who has not had her first period will.not get pregnant even if she has sex.is this correct

Answered by Dr. S Patra 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Statement is partially correct.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

Above statement is partially correct as followings are the reason behind that:

1) If girls do not get their first period, ovulation can't be occurred before her first period and next 1 - 2 years after her period. Their initial cycles are mostly anovulatory or without ovulation. So, if someone is having sex before her first period, she can't be pregnant logically and scientifically.

2) If someone is having sex on ovulation day of her first menstrual period which is likely to occur but unpredictable according to age, she may get pregnant but it is very much rare or minimal.

In doubtful case, pregnancy test or ultrasound scan is the best modality of investigation.

Hope, I have clarified the things which you want to be sure from me.

Dr Soumen

Thank you. So to finalise, if one has not even had their first period, pregnancy would be near impossible ??

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, quite impossible.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

Yes, if someone has not gotten her period, pregnancy would be near impossible or very much minimal.

Hope, everything is clarified. Kindly, close the discussion.

Dr Soumen