At menopause. Had lower stomach pain and have spotting. What could be the cause?

Question
I AM SIXTY YEARS OLD HAD MY LAST PERIOD AT AGE 45. tHIS PAST WEEKEND I WAS MOPING THE FLOOR' MY LOWER BACK STARTED TO HUNRT AND A BAD PAIN HIT ME IN MY LOWER STOMACH. THEN WHEN I WENT TO USE THE BATHROOM, THERE WAS SPOTTING NOT A LOT BUT IT IS STILL THERE TODAY.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Bleeding in postmenopausal age has to be well evaluated as the conditions causing it can complicate into serious health issues.

The common causes for post menopausal bleeding are
Endometrial hyperplasia
Endometrial cancer
Cervical cancer
Uterine polyp
Endometrial atrophy etc

The above causes have to be ruled out by a detailed pelvic examination and a pelvic ultrasonography. Do consult your gynecologist for the same.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.