At 49, still fertile and have regular periods. Want to get rid of taking birth control pills. Suggestion?

Am I still fertile at 49 if I still have regular 28-day periods? Am asking because I'd like to quit having to worry about using birth control if I don't have to but yet don't want to risk getting pregnant at my age. What should I do? Should I have tests to check my hormone levels? Are they expensive?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
If you are still having regular cycles, then chances are that you still have ovulation.If you do have ovulation then you are fertile. You can check your hormone levels,but they will likely be normal, since you still have regular cycles. You can however, check your ovarian reserve with a test called AMH.(anti mullerian hormone)It will indicate your ovarian function. On another note, most people gain menopause by 50-52.So if you wish, you can try using a intrauterine device like Mirena or copper T.