Asymmetrical chest, build up of cartilage, no pain, X-ray done. Okay to treat through chiropractor ?

Hi, My 18 month daughter has an asymmetrical chest. The right side of her chest sticks out and feels hard like a bone. Our pediatrician requested an x-ray. Her bones seem to be fine. The pediatric radiologist says that she has an excessive build up of cartilage, and there is nothing they can do. Also, she is healthy and doesn't seem to be in pain.
We also take her to a chiropractor. The chiropractor requested x-rays from our pediatrician, but the pediatrician will not send her the x-rays. The pediatrician advised we do not take her to a chiropractor because she is "too little".
The chiropractor believes that she can help her with adjustments.
My questions are, what would cause an excessive build up of cartilage in her chest? Are there activities we should avoid with her? Would chiropractic care be a legitimate way of dealing with excessive cartilage? Are there future detriments to be aware of with her abnormality?
We want to be pro active, and the idea of addressing the issue now with chiropractic care seems more appealing than waiting to see if she gets worse.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Formation of excessive cartilage in an 18 month old is not something which can be taken care of by a chiropractor. The child is actually too little for all these practices.
The formation of excessive cartilage is usually a normal variation in children which i triggered by excessive growth hormone production. Higher levels of growth hormone are expected at this age.
In most of the cases no treatment is needed. Just go for a routine follow up every six months to see if proper remodelling is taking place.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with your daughter. Do not worry. She should be fine soon.
You can give her good exposure to sun to avoid any possible Vitamin D deficiency.
Calcitriol supplements will also help her.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.