Asthmatic, pregnant. On foracort 400 inhaler. Having cough and wheezing. Can I take montair 10?

Hi I m six months pregnant. Asthamatic. Can i take montair 10? Already taking two puffs of Foracort 400 inhaler thru spacer twice daily. But for two days having cough and wheezing. Don't know which med is safe to take?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query, on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to diagnosed as a case of bronchial asthma with six months pregnancy.

2.Considering your increase in symptoms. You need to increase the dose of foracort 400 to 4 puffs twice a day for 5 to 7 days. Eventhough montelukast is safe during pregnancy, you should try to keep the drugs to a minimum in pregnancy in consultation with you pulmonologist. Considering the cough and wheezing, you may need an additional antibiotic along with oral bronchodilator tablet like doxophylline under supervision of pulmonologist. Also a short acting reliever medication like aerocort inhaler can started 3 to 4 times a day for 10 to 15 days.

3. Thus I would suggest you to please visit a pulmonologist and get your treatment titrated accordingly as mentioned above.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist