Asthmatic child has small patch on head. Should I be worried?

My 12 year old has small bald patch on head.should I be worried.she is asthmatic and nut allergic
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 minutes later
From the description it seems she might be having alopecia areata.
Alopecia areata presents itself as round oval coin shaped patches of hair loss. These might be seen in children with atopy. Alopecia areata is usually a self resolving disease and spontaneous resolution is commonly seen, however the same may require months.
Treatment is offered in form of topical steroid application or intra lesional steroid injections with or without topical minoxidil application. Treatment expedites hair growth and prevents progression of lesion.

Alopecia areata should be differentiated in children from fungal infection of scalp( tinea capitis) which is characterised by round patches of hair loss along with slight flakiness or presence of black dots( broken hair at surface of scalp) or boggy swelling in the involved area. Treatment involves a course of oral and topical antifungal.
In all probability she might be having alopecia areata. I would advise you to visit a dermatologist near by so that proper treatment can be started
Hope this answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.