Asthma,allergic cold,sneezing,wheezing,asthalin inhaler,difficulty breathing

Question
Sir I am writing this for my wife. She is suffering from asthma for about 14 yrs. She was working as a teacher in an high altitude place. First she developed allergic to cold weather condition. The symptoms were sneezing, irritation in the throat, ear and nose followed by wheezing. Ever since she was using Asthalin inhaler. She was advised to take steroid inhalers. She was using it for some months and then discontinued. Now she is living in a warmer place. She doesn't sneeze or cough these days. But she has breathing difficulty almost everyday especially at night. Her air tubes are blocked by mucous or spasm. Kindly give advice for a treatment to keep her breathing problem under check.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

From the symptoms that your wife is having, she should continue using asthalin inhaler and use some mild steroid inhalers as well. Steroid inhalers are quite useful and Inhaled forms are usually used except in the case of severe persistent disease, in which oral steroids may be needed.

Although there is a climate change from cold to warmer, yet your wife is having breathing difficulty which means that she should use the inhalers and not leave them intermittently.

Apart from salbutamol (asthalin), anticholinergic medication and anticholinergic inhalers can also be used in combination with the Asthalin inhalers. These are quite useful and you can get then prescribed from his chest physician.

In addition, she should try steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, she should avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods.

Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths and swimming also help a lot.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Asthma,allergic cold,sneezing,wheezing,asthalin inhaler,difficulty breathing 45 minutes later
She was adviced by her physician to use Simply One steroid inhalers some years back. Should she continue the same now along with asthalin? What kind of tests she should undergo to determine her lungs and air passage tubes?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your wife should continue using the steroid inhalers because they are the mainstay of therapy of bronchial asthma.

However regular pulmonary function tests will help in assessing the status of asthma.

She is also advised to do regular breathing exercises and smoking (both active as well as passive).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Asthma,allergic cold,sneezing,wheezing,asthalin inhaler,difficulty breathing 10 hours later
Sir i did not understand what do you mean by the third sentence in your reply. (She is also advised to do regular breathing exercises and smoking (both active as well as passive). Please elabotrate on smoking.

Can you also prescribe the name of steroid inhalers for her regulatr use and its dosage?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

My sincere apologies for the mistake. Actually, I intended to say "

She is also advised to do regular breathing exercises and avoid smoking (both

active as well as passive)."

The commonly used steroid inhalers are budesonide and fluticasone.

Please get them prescribed by your physician as they are available only on prescription.

I sincerely hope that helps.

Regards.