Asthma since childhood, using inhaler. Taking montair lc. Is the medicine safe & what are preventives of asthma?

Hi whats the best time to take montair lc? I am asthmatic and have been advised by my Dr to take the drug for 15 days? I am 19...Is it safe to take it.Does it have any side effects? I have been taking it from last few yrs on and off whenever theres change of season.I have been asthmatic from childhood and use an inhaler.What are the preventives of asthma? what should one do incase of severe attack?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Montair LC needs to be taken at bed time in the night since it has levocetrizine in it which has some sedative side effect.

2. Yes you should take this drug at minimum for 15 days and then under guidance from your treating doctor, it can be replaced by Tb montair.

3. When you take it for 15 days , no major side effects are expected at your age.

4. Since you are having symptoms from childhood, you should get yourself evaluated by a Pulmonologist and get your treatment optimised. Investigations like chest xray, pulmonary function tests and serum IgE levels will help titrate your treatment accordingly.

5. For prevention of asthma some of the common measures advocated are:
a. avoid dusty environment or any sort of sort exposure like during cleaning of house or white washing of house.
b. Do a regular pest control of your home every 3 months.
c. If carpets are used in house then regular vacuum clean them.
d. Regular cleaning of all your linens.
e. Avoid spicy food/ cold food / carbonated cold drinks.
f. Avoid taking too any stress on you.
g. Prior to a heavy physical activity you can take one puff of your reliever inhaler. (Now a days doctots prescribe single maintenance and reliever therapy- SMART therapy. Please consult your doctor regarding this.)
h. Avoid pets as far as possible.
i. Always carry the reliever inhaler with you.
j. Please use over the counter medications with caution.
k. Stay away from anyone smoking cigarettes.
l. Please buy a peak flow meter and monitor your readings at home (please consult your physician regarding this).

6. In case of a severe attack, you can take 3 to 4 puffs of your reliever inhaler via a spacer. You need to sit down and rest. Also please continue the other treatment medicines as advised by your doctor. If it is not controlled by this then you may need to visit the nearest available doctor.

Also you can read some articles about asthma at my blog:

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra