Asthamatic since childhood, developed persistent cough, shortness of breath with chest and body pain. Had X-ray. Suggest?

I am asthamatic since childhood and had lately developed a persistent cough that is there since last two months. I also experience sudden chest pain and sever body pain. I am facing severe shortness of breath since last 4-5 days. Chest x-ray reports that there is slight haziness in the right paracardiac region. (However other symptoms such as fever or headache or loss of appetite is not there).

Last month, I got a fever that lasted for 7 continuous days (102 F-104 F) but doctors could not diagnose anything wrong with me.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Change of steroids & combination inhalers.

Detailed Answer:

Thanx for posting your query on XXXXXXX

At present your asthma seems to be uncontrolled despite taking treatment.

First and foremost, any underlying cause for excerbation needs to be ruled out. You may go in for a CT Chest in view of paracardiac opacity to rule out any infection. Also get a routine blood test done.

In case there is any evidence of infection, discuss with your doctor for a course of antibiotics. Even if there is no evidence of infection, a course of antibiotics emperically may help.

You are already taking oral steroids without much effect. The dose may need to be increased or a change of steroid preparation like methyl prednisolone or defacort may help. Pl discuss this also with your doctor.

Regarding inhalers, i suggest you take combination of salmeterol and fluticasone or formeterol and budesonide instead of taking only salmeterol. Another inhaler by the name of Tiova can be added.

In case of chronic uncontrolled asthma you may try taking a course of anti IgE shots. These may help. For all this i suggest you consult a pulmonologist.
Follow-up: Asthamatic since childhood, developed persistent cough, shortness of breath with chest and body pain. Had X-ray. Suggest? 5 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Is my immunity also declining due to my asthma? Is there a correlation between these too or am I generally getting all sorts of infections?

Also can you please brief me about anti IgE shots?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IgE shots to be taken only on pulmonologist advice

Detailed Answer:

There is no direct relation between allergy and reduced immunity but yes, your asthma can get aggravated with any kind of infection.

In a person with h/o allergy, antibody IgE levels are raised which may be responsible for many symptoms of asthma. To neutralize these antibodies, anti IgE shots are given. Dose and frequency of shots depends on the IgE level in the body. This has to be given under supervision of a pulmonologist after therough examination and necessary investigatios.