Assistance with knowing the exact conception date if possible.

I would like assistance with a conception date if possible. I had sexual intercourse on 24 march 2012. My period then started on 25 march 2012 and I had a normal 4 day / spotting. On 4 April I had an ultrasound ovarian scan and had not yet ovulated thoigh the dominant follicle was visible (scan was to rule out cysts). Between 8 April and 10 April 2012 I had unprotected sex and have since found out I am pregnant. I have had several scans because of bleeding and the dates and measurements are as follows - 8 may, 6 weeks 2 days, measure 6 mm. 21 may 8 weeks 2 days 17mm CRL. 31 may 9 weeks 6 days 30.1 mm. 7 XXXXXXX 10 weeks 2 days 34mm, 13 XXXXXXX 11 weeks 4 days, 49 mm. I have been given a due date of 29 December. Is there any chance I could have got pregnant on 24 march? Thanks for your help with this.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

It seems that bleeding for four days, which started on 25th March was not due to period.

Bleeding due to menstrual period is generally heavy. It contains fresh blood which is red in colour and clots in it. But your bleeding was in the form of spotting only, which is not in favour of bleeding due to period.

All your scan reports are in favour of pregnancy due to sex you had on 24th March.

Your USG report of 4th April is not supporting it.

But if we presume your pregnancy due to sex between 8th to 10th April, the age of foetus shown in reports dated 8 May, 21st May, 31st May, 7th XXXXXXX & 13th XXXXXXX doesn't support it.

Thus your pregnancy seems to be due to sex you had on 24th March.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,
Follow-up: Assistance with knowing the exact conception date if possible. 25 minutes later
The bleed on 25th march was a proper period. Also I know that I was not pregnant as of and did not ovulate until after 4th April as a result of my ultrasound, so your answer suggests sperm has survived in excess of 10 days and also through a period for ovulation and to result in this pregnancy? Are you are about that?
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome again,

What was the colour of the blood on 25th March? (Red or Pinkish/brownish)

Do you have regular periods or irregular?

What is the average duration of your menstrual cycle?

On which date your period started during Feb.?

If we take bleeding on 25th march as due to proper period, then pregnancy normally can not occur due to intercourse on 24th march.

If pregnancy has taken place between 8 to 10 April, the age of foetus on 8th May should be 4 weeks & 2 days only.

Hope this will help you in deciding date of conception.

If you have further query, please ask.

With good wishes,

The sperm can not survive for 10 days.

Thus if it was your proper period, pregnancy can result only due intercourse between 8th to 10th April. But age of foetus given in reports doesn't support it.

Follow-up: Assistance with knowing the exact conception date if possible. 11 minutes later
I have regular 28 day cycles, my period starting on 25/3/12 was normal, red bleeding to begin with and medium flow lasting 3/4 days with spotting at the end.

The ultrasound on 4 april 2012 showed i was due to ovulate as the follicle could be seen,meaning the sperm from 24 march 2012 would have had to survive until after then which i thought was highly unlikely, and surely my due date would be 2 weeks earlier than 29 december if that were the case? I also thought falling pregnant on the day before my period was due to start was highly unlikely.

I was under the impression that the ultrasounds i have had were based on gestational age rather than fetal age, and therefore minus 2 weeks. The 6 weeks 2 days was from the date of my last menstrual period beginning.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 57 minutes later

Welcome again,

As it is clear from your answer that on 25th march, the bleeding was due to your regular menstrual period, there are no chances of getting pregnant due to intercourse you had on 24th March.

Thus it is clear that, you have become pregnant due to intercourse you had during 8th to 10th April,2012.

Hope, I have answered your query.

With good wishes,